As with any part of raising children, no one does a perfect job with nutrition, not even nutrition professionals. As a parent, grandparent, or adult caregiver, you can help raise healthy eaters during these critical years by doing your best to:
· Serve regular, balanced meals and snacks with a variety of nutrient-rich foods.
· Provide calm, pleasant meal times where adults and children can talk together.
· Allow children to use their internal signals to decide how much and what to eat.
· Explore a variety of flavors and foods from different cultures and cuisines.
· Share an appreciation for healthful food, lovingly prepared and shared with others.
· Make food safety, including washing hands, a part of every eating occasion.
· Teach basic skills for making positive food choices away from home.
· Find credible food and nutrition resources when you don’t know the answer.
Community Service Programs of West Alabama (CSP), Inc.’s Head Start/Early Head Start, Child Care Partnership, and Early Intervention programs engage families and encourage healthy lifestyle choices. Safe and healthy children are ready to learn and explore their world.